Are you Reeling on Instagram?
Are you still just using Instagram to post images and hash-tagged captions? If you answered “yes,” it’s time to maximize the social media platform’s potential by creating and sharing Reels.
What is Instagram Reels?
Reels is an Instagram app feature allowing the users to film or upload 3- to 15-second video clips they can edit, sound dub or add effects to before sharing to their feed, to stories or to the Instagram Explore tab.
Why is Reels Important?
In the past two years, the most popular apps used by Gen Z and younger millennials have been Instagram and TikTok. Suffice it to say, if you want to get the attention of today’s youth, these are the places to be.
Instagram says it launched Reels to give users more content creation opportunities and many brands are already taking advantage of using the feature, including bridal salons showcasing wedding gowns, travel industry sites showcasing places to visit, and even medical and nonprofit organizations in search of a new way to showcase their services offered.
A Quick How-to
For those ready to give it a go, below is a quick overview to get you started…
- First, enter Reels mode within Instagram Stories.
- Review the editing tools offered: sound, playback speed, effects and timer.
- Hold record to begin filming, or upload a pre-recorded video. The progress bar at the top of the screen will display how much recording time you have remaining. If you’re on TikTok and have videos saved in your camera roll, you can also share these to Reels.
- Add any last-minute effects you’d like to use. These may include stickers, drawings and text.
- Prep your Reel for publication. Here you’ll see the post screen where you can choose a cover image, write a cation, add hashtags and publish the video to Reels.
- View your Reel.
- Share your Reel. Your Reel will be visible to Explore audiences once published, but you can also post it to your feed, causing it to appear in your main profile grid. You can also send a Reel as a direct message or post it to your Instagram Stories. If you do not share your Reel to your main grid, the content will disappear within 24 hours.
- Track the Reel’s performance. The only way to do this currently is to view the post itself. Look here for the number of likes and for posted comments.
- Watch Reels from other accounts to get ideas of what might work for your business in the future.
Want to explore how to make the most of using Reels? Let’s set up an appointment for a consultation. Connect with us at 610.223.7102 or online at socialclovermarketing.com.